​​ Home > Workers Compensation Insurance > What if I'm injured at work?

What if I'm injured at work?


In a medical emergency, go immediately to the nearest emergency or urgent care center or health care physician, and contact your supervisor within 24 hours of the accident. In a non-emergency, contact your supervisor immediately. Your agency will then assist you through the workers' compensation claim process. A First Report of Injury form must be completed in the event of a work related injury or illness.   

      1. You will be assigned a claim representative to investigate and manage your claim.
      2. Have the First Report of Injury Form completed by your supervisor and sign the Signature Page, Medical Waiver and Consent Form and the Designated Physician Form in the beginning of the claim process. 
      3. You will receive a temporary prescription card that will allow you to fill your prescriptions without any out-of-pocket expenses. Take the Prescription Form with you to the pharmacy.
      4. Select a physician from the list of pre-approved providers. You may change your "gatekeeper" physician only one time. Referrals to specialists are not considered a physician change. If you change your gatekeeper physician, you must complete and submit the 2nd Designated Physician Form.
      5. Always take the Report of Medical Status form with you to your doctor appointments and bring the completed form back to your agency.
      6. To request reimbursment for out-of-pocket expenses related to your injury, use the reimbursment form and send to your claim representative.

Accumulated leave can be used when you must miss work for a work-related injury to make up the difference between Workers' Compensation benefits and your regular salary.  To use accumulated leave during your workers' compensation injury, you must remit your workers' compensation check (TTD check) to the agency by completing an Accumulated Leave Form prior to receiving accumulated leave. This form must be signed by the employee, witnessed, and forwarded to the payroll officer for their records.

For information about the Return to Work program, click here.